Tuesday 30 July 2013

Turok, Last Shadow, Bird of Prey


Day 28, July 30,2013

Funny how thing come and go in your life and I always think that there are more reasons to these events then that meet the eye. After having seen the movie Avatar and a huge fan of the story it made me realize a bit more about how fragile nature is and how much of mankind's involvement is related to it in that respect, plus what is the meaning of life, is it our new world rush to have it all or is it a slower old world (Indigenous) pace of life the way to go, this journey has become more or less my Walkabout or I call it my Rideabout.

During this trip I have encounter many amazing things and have given help without expecting anything back in return and yet I have received countless times more generosity back then what I have given.

Is this also a part of the true meaning of life, maybe.

My thoughts while riding through the desert and trying to make sense of things from the last few days has become: The story of Turok (last shadow).

First a bit of background information to this story.

While I was up North and had stopped for groceries an Indian Elder walks up to me and says "You Are Rider of Blue Beast" and hands me a Tribal Medicine Wheel with expectations of payment of course, after looking at it I felt honored and some how guilty not to accept this token and I paid him for it and so it ended in my backpack for the time. While I was at that Big Cedar and struck with how amazing she would have looked in her younger years of glory and now standing there painfully dying with just a few sprouts of green left, I stood there and while touching her side I felt overwhelmed with emotion and could not help but shed a tear onto her feet, wishing I could tap into her Eywa (spirit) and hear her stories while I could try to give her comfort in that I somehow could understand her sorrow. I then walked back to my bike and was thinking all this being out in the middle of nowhere with not a soul around must be getting to me or I'm getting to sentimental I guess with old age and rode away on my new GPS given route and not following the road back the way I had come. With now having ridden some 10 thousand miles I felt more connected to my bike then I had before and the bike was following the trail as if it knew where to go, funny I thought how come this is happening now and just then down swoops this massive Owl and circles around me and up into the trees, wow I must have frightened him and I did not think another moment about it. The trail had been getting smaller and at times very bumpy so my luggage had starting to shake loose, startled by the big bird I stopped to tighten things up and the Medicine Wheel was showing, glad I caught it on time or I would have lost it, I tucked things in a little tighter and went on. I guess this was why that Owl had come down or was it?

And so now while riding down in the stifling heat of the desert my mind is trying to processing the last couple of days events and trying to find some kind of clarity to it, and once again stopping for gas another rider asks where I'm from and I tell him from Ottawa and that I had ridden up to Inuvik and now on my way to The End of the World Tierra Del Fuego he says to me wow all that on that Beast with that load that is amazing. I thanked him and went back to the desert road with more heat and some steep inclines. At one point I came across another rider puffing his way up on a single cylinder motorcycle laying down full throttle and trying to make the grade up. He was struggling to do so, and I felt like I was swooping down on him, like a bird of pray and so happy that this Beast has so much power it finally dawned on me that it was like I was riding Turok or Last Shadow (from the movie Avatar) if you will and so from now on my bikes spiritual name will be Turok and only spoken of when appropriate. Was it that Indian, that Tree, that Owl, that Medicine Wheel, or all this heat I really don't know, but there you have it, you decide about these events and what they did mean.
 
I also fond something out about the Medicine Wheel as it is from the Indigenous peoples of America and does not refer to drugs or herbs but to inner spiritual energy and healing.
The circle is an endless creation with connections to the past, present and future, (The great circle of life).
The natural world was created in groups of four. These quadrants represent the four directions and four seasons. Four races of people, four types of creatures and the four elements; wind, fire, water, and air.
Seek to the East for a healthy mind, South for a strong inner spirit, West for inner peace, and North for a strong healthy body, this seeking is like my journey and is all this just coincidence, maybe.
Here is a  picture of the medicine wheel that was given to me as it now hangs on my wall and is now a reminder of this great journey and the meaning of it all.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment