Thursday 18 July 2013

Chicken, Alaska


Day 16, July 18, 2013, 284km

 

Dawson City is a real gem in the rough, 1898 Klondike Gold Rush era with wooden sidewalks and all. There are plenty of things to do and see and makes this a town a place not to pass by. For those that are brave at heart you can do the SourToe cocktail that has some old miners toe in it. I skipped that part, just not my cup of tea.

 

Did take the Ferry over the Yukon River toward The Top of the World Hwy into Alaska. This road runs along the crown of the mountain range and the views are stunning.

 

Going to Chicken Alaska you see lots of people along the riverbanks that are still panning for Gold. I stopped at one outfit that was very large that had some equipment for sale and signs saying make an offer. I walked up where two guys were working, brothers by the looks of it. Darrel and Darrel I think and ask if they are making a good living, “just barely” says one and that was it, I try some other small talk but these guys are not the talkative kind.  In Chicken they have lots of old cars and machinery standing around and I just needed to take a shot of this old mean looking  truck


Along the way from Tok to Whitehorse I see this white car stopping in the middle of the road, the doors opening up and lots of white smoke coming out. This did not look good so I pulled over to stop, and an elderly couple (Al and Marlene from Ontario) come dazed and bewildered out of the car, as I look closer oil is spilling out from under the car and all the air bags are deployed, seeing this I call for there attention to get the car off to the side of the road before it's to late, we are just past a curve and standing in the middle of the road with oncoming traffic that won't be able to stop in time.
Al gets back in and moves the car, while I flag some oncoming cars to stop. Al must have dozed off and hit the side of the curve popping his right side tire off the rim and hitting a bolder or something  making a hole in the oil pan. I ask both pulled over cars if they have any phone connection and none have because we are in the middle of nowhere, one guy says he would be able to drop one of them off in Tok so they can get in touch with the rental company (I'm sure they will be happy). Marlene and Al both thanked me and off I went.

 

All this making my day a little longer then expected I camped at the Discovery Yukon Lodge where I did  meet some very interesting people, but I won't bore you with that, it's time to ride and Whitehorse here I come.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment