Monday 15 July 2013

Inuvik, Northwest Territories


Day 13/14, July 15/16, 2013, 1564km
 

Started the Dempster to Inuvik and passed the Arctic Circle. This road throws everything at you from hard to soft to lose gravel, shale, sand, you name it, it has it, dusty as hell when dry, and don't be driving fast when a transport comes by because you won't see anything for 10 seconds or more, then as it gets wetter the dust becomes slip and slide crap and I mean crap, if you can get past all this road can throw at you and start looking at your surroundings it’s absolute stunning to say the least and worth every moment.

 
While camping in Dawson another motorcycle rider (John Harris on a V-strom) came in late that night and was looking for a spot to camp, I told him that he could share my spot, and so he did. Latter on I fond out that he is also going to Inuvik but taking it much slower than me so we parted our ways in the morning. I made the trip up to Inuvik in 12 hrs and that includes lunch and scenic stops, so it is very doable if you have dry roads. Set-up camp at the Happy Valley town run camping for only $15 and with free showers, not a bad deal. Early this morning I headed to the Arctic information Centre to see if I should stay another day or just take off. This place is great if you want to go hiking into the mosquito invested woods/tundra to scout for wild life, and as much as I like that I didn’t feel much for it. The other day I did hear some other campers had been looking for days with no success so I decide to go back to Dawson. On my way back I stopped for lunch in Eagle Plains, and just as I'm walking out a man (David Jeffrey on a BMW GS) comes at me and starts talking about my Super Tenere and if I like it (well yes). A bit later on he is wondering where I'm heading to and offers the use of his satellite phone to confirm the tent space back in Dawson, needless to say no tent space, so when he hears that he offers to share his room, isn’t karma great.

Here are just a few of the shots taken.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment