Thursday 21 November 2013

Death Road


Day 142, Nov  21, 2013, 325km


Found out this morning that the road is open so I made a early start, and also because it was dry and it's suppose to rain today.

Death Road starts off on cobblestones and later a very wide gravel and dirt road, so I was thinking this is to easy and when you think something like that it's out there and you know what happens, well let's just say the rain did come and not just a little bit. The tire tracks turned into rivers and the otherwise good to ride gravel and dirt was turning into crap. The road gets very narrow at spots and with oncoming traffic making it very dangerous, it also has a couple rivers crossings and the overhanging cliffs give you a nice shower at  some points (as if I needed more water).

After a while it started raining so hard I could not see and with the mist I was getting to the point of this is not worth it, all I need now is a crazy bus driver coming around a corner, but I knew if I went back I would forever wonder what the rest of the road was like and regret not finishing it, also all along the way I did noticed more and more crosses and plagues of remembrance to those that died on this road and it does make you think for a bit, that it's not for nothing called Death Road.

 

At one of the larger tombstones I paid homage to those that have passed on this road and I hoped that this would  help in giving me save passage, luckily the rain did ease up a little and I did continued to finished the road and am very happy to have done it.

 

Would I do it again? Definitely yes but not in the rain.

 

 
 

Made the ride back to La Paz and decided to make a dash towards Oruro, and staying in another $4 hostel with only WiFi downstairs.

 

Tomorrow Potosi or Sucre will have to do some research first.

 

 

Super Tenere on Death Road Bolivia, you won't find many of these yet.

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment