Saturday 10 August 2013

White Rim Trail, Moab


Day 38, Aug 10, 2013, 255km
 

O.M.G. The White Rim Trail is one heck of a Trail. The views are amazing and the road is good for most of the parts but terrible when you get on the steep rocks to loos sand climes or descends. For the guys that love cross country riding it must be a dream ride, but for me this will be the first and last time I will do this one again on a fully loaded bike of this size. It was 255km round trip from the Slickrock Camping and it took me 14Hrs to complete plus some 6 litres of water.

I dumped the bike 3 times in the loos sand, and the first one catching me by surprise. I did not notice the road changed into loos sand so I was going a little to fast when I hit it. I twisting my ankle and knee fairly bad, and It took me half en hour before I could finally start to walk on it again.

I could feel the swelling kicking in as my right boot was getting tighter, and this had me thinking should I continue or go back. I decided to man up and finish this route or I would for ever wonder how good or bad it is. Luckily twice some passerby helped me pick-up the bike but the worst one was on a steep climb and then of course no one is around to help. Finally by swinging my bikes front end down and removing all the gear I was able to get the it back upright. It took me over an hour of sweating in the sun and as I get back on some clouds come over and give me a few drops of rain just to say here you go cool down.

For anybody thinking of doing this route I can only advise to not do it alone and bring lots of water because you will need it, if you do the whole route do it in two days for this will give you the time to take some of those awesome cliff shots that I now don't have, did make lots of video and will have to see if any of that is good.

Tomorrow will stay an extra day in Moab to rest and see how my knee does.

 

 

Here is a post script about this day that I posted after I had come back from this trip.

 

There is a omission on day 38 that I did not post at the time because I did not want to alarm family members.

As that day moved on I was getting very dehydrated from the 47c temps out there, I had 1 ltr of water left and was using it sparsely, it was because of that second drop that had me use most of all my water to get the bike back up. My leg was throbbing a lot, and then when I dropped the bike the third time I passed out from pain and exhaustion.

I remember brief moments coming too and then fading back out, my mind was wandering through an array of the past and I was at peace with this, luckily a young Couple (Dave and Julie) in a Dodge Durango did pass by and revive me as I laid out there in the burning sun, I don't know what would have happened if they had not come, but I will forever be grateful that they did. They waited as I regained myself, and replenished my water supply. They then followed me for the next 5 hrs as I continued to head back to the main road to Moab. A truly remarkable couple as they gave from there heart. Them coming along at that moment was as if it was meant to be (my destiny call was answered, my roll has more in-store for me).

I do feel now that it is necessary for you to know how dangerous it can be to ride alone, but at the same time saying this I also believe that everyone’s destiny has been laid out and that won't change no matter what you do. Knowing this to be true can set you free, don't do knowingly stupid things but live life to it's fullest like you have never done before.

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment