Sunday 20 October 2013

Arapuey


Day 110, Oct 20, 2013, 291km


The further you go from the border the less garbage you see, and the other thing you now notice is the huge line-up's of cars at the gas stations, I guess filling those huge tanks takes a lot of time.

Finally into the mountains towards Valera where I started looking for lodging, most places wanted 400Bs if you paid cash or 600Bs to use credit card, what a rip off I thought. I had tried several ATM's but no money, so I figure there will be more small towns down the road with better prices and hopefully no extra charges.

After a while I find myself now riding into the night, until it is pitch black the small towns have no lodging so I keep moving on further into the mountains coming through passes with no real roads left from the washouts. 
After a couple of hours of this my body is starting to hurt from the strain and I need to stop often to gather more strength, navigating through the gravel inclines is starting to take it's toll on me and I can't help but think how stupid all this is for a few lousy bucks. By now it's 11:30 with no end in site, I have been riding since 8 this morning and I know I need to stop or I will crash on these roads so I start looking for a possible camp site, but with a rock wall on one side and a  steep drop on the other, there is not much choice but to move on. I have also been riding blind because my GPS has no detail maps of this area and all I know was that I was heading South West most of the time towards Saint Cristobal so I decide to take the next road that is heading North East that should be towards Hwy 1. After another hour, I finally come to a town with a hotel and he is asking 150BS but luckily he was okay with the 145Bs because that's all the cash I had. This place has no Internet no nothing but a place to sleep and I will happily take it.

More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment