Saturday 14 September 2013

San Cristobal de Las Casas, Mexico


Day 74, Sep 14, 2013, 342km


Followed Hwy 190 further from Juchitan to San Cristobal de Las Casas in the poring rain again today but now we had several washouts along the way. I almost lost it in one of the washouts when I hit a huge hole under the water, luckily I was able to put me feet down and catch the bike from tipping over just in time but that also had the effect that now my boots were full to the rim, not much good all the water proofing did.

Than we hit a line up of cars and trucks that were stopped by a local protest action, we went past the whole convoy to the front of the line and stopped. The  demonstrators looked friendly so I started asking if anyone could tell me what it was about and I said that I would video it (which I did). One of the young ladies was able to tell me that the protest action was for reform of the education system. Goes to show as much as things are different in this country something's are the same. After they had there giggles about being on film they fond us to be so nice they said we could go pass the blockade if we wanted. Did not wait to hear that twice, back to the bike's and away.

We than took the toll road further because the rain was now coming down in buckets so most likely more washouts or god knows what.

In San Cristobal we fond hostel Rossco that has a special 2 for1 for bikers (stay one night and get the second for free) this also includes free breakfast, wifi, hot showers and free parking. Private rooms are 500 pesos or you can go for the dorm even cheaper. This place is clean and is close to the centre of town. The owner rides a motorcycle of course and that's why he gives the special to motorcyclist.

Tomorrow taking the free day and watching the big Mexican celebration take place.
 
Up through the clouds to San Cristobal
 

No comments:

Post a Comment